The Best Rock in Town – Charley Magruders Memories

By  |  7 Comments
Pin It
Prev1 of 6Next
← → (arrow) keys to browse

If the walls of Charley Magruders could talk, we would all be entertained until the end of time.  Since the club’s closing about fifteen years ago, the owner Butch Weaver, and the employees have become the walls.  I’ve told a few stories where I have changed the names of the guilty to appear innocent several times, but I’m not here to tell a story of some famous cat that walked through the doors of Charley Magruders.  I’m going to fill you in on one of the best jobs I have ever had.  Being a part of that Rock and Roll club was such an amazing time in my life.

The year is 1992 and I am leaving the Pump Club, one of the High Energy dance clubs that I worked at with one of my friends, Ginger.  We climbed into her 280Z and decided to head on over to a bar we had never been to before, Charley Magruders.  I had heard about it from my roommate Terry who also worked at the Pump Club with me.   He had been several times and he said if we wanted to hear some good rock and roll music that this was the place to be.  He may have mention that the club would be packed with beautiful women and boys with long hair dressed in leather jackets, but he had me sold at Rock and Roll.

Prev1 of 6Next
← → (arrow) keys to browse

Comment Using Facebook

1. Heather Mc

November 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Well said!!! Can we just go back to those days? Please :)

2. Frankie Aster

November 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Steph, excellent article!

• John Robert

February 8, 2011 at 12:37 am

Hey Frankie! My sister Julie named her dog after you! I used to hang out (LIVED) at Magruders around May 1985 (Friends of DETOUR)

• John Welsch

February 5, 2012 at 1:48 am

I was a semi – regular July 85 through 1993 Awesome story. I saw myself with long hair in one of Robby’s videos from Magruders. Jeff always watched my back for me at Magruders because he liked my sister Julie. The first few days I went to Magruders, everybody called me “Julie’s brother.” Now it’s just John.

3. Nikki

November 23, 2010 at 7:17 am

Boy, that so brought me back! I can’t say enough about some of the best nights I had in a fantastic bar (staff and Butch included). Try to forget the blurry nights. lol! But I really LOVED the place and miss it. Love, laughter, cute boys, good friends,being a “regular” was just plain awesome. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THE EXPERIENCE A WILD RIDE!

4. Randy Chatham

August 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

Great article Stephanie, it really took me back. I would definitely call myself one of the long hair regulars who considered that place home from around midnight to 4am (we always did cheap pictures of beer at Kings Head before going to Magtuders). I ran into Bobby Gorgone some time ago, and I heard he married Gidget. I’ve wondered what ever happened to Derf over all these years as well. Great article!

• Christine Szczepaniak

February 2, 2015 at 4:06 am

I miss a lot of the Magruder’s crew is there a friend list anywhere…