4. THE CHATTANOOGA CHOO CHOO

The station opened in 1909 and was the largest station in Chattanooga’s history. The original Chattanooga Union Station, built in 1858, (demolished in 1973) and a second station, built in 1882, were too small to handle the rapid expansion in the railroad network serving Chattanooga.

American railroad passenger traffic declined in the 1950s and 1960s, and the last passenger train to serve the station, the Birmingham Special from New York City to Birmingham, left Terminal Station in 1970.

It is a great little spot to read about the history of the station and the song.